This contest is closed.
Patexia is looking for descriptions of a switch with multiple interface cards, each with a local memory containing a subset of the overall routing table, but can quickly update by accessing the overall routing table with the correct routing information if needed.
Submitted documents describing this system must be:
- filed or published before 09/29/1995
- not on the known references list
The entire submission must describe a switch with:
- a master control process (432) that contains the entirety of the routing table
- a number of interface cards (448 and 402)
- each interface with a local memory containing a portion of the routing table (410 and 422) and a memory controller (458 and 456)
- each interface’s routing table being different from each other (e.g. 422 does not have the same entries as 410)
- and a backplane (428) and a bus (430) to interconnect the master control process (432) and the interface cards (448 and 402)
Using these components:
- when a data packet arrives at an interface with a destination address that is not in the interface’s local memory’s routing table (410 and 422)
- the memory controller (458 and 456) looks up the relevant routing information from the master control process (432) to update its local routing table (422 and 410)
Figure 4 showing the backplane (428), the bus (430), the interfaces (448 and 402), and the master control process (432)
Contest icon by Arthur Shlain from the Noun Project.
|1||Is the reference either a US patent filed, a foreign patent published, or a non-patent document published before September 29th, 1995?||T/F|
|2||Does the reference show a switch with multiple interface cards, each with a local memory containing a subset of the overall routing table of the switch?||40|
|3||(2a) Does the reference further show that each interface’s subset is different so that no two interfaces have the exact same table?||20|
|4||Does the reference show that the entire overall routing table is stored in memory at a master control process, which is connected to the interfaces via both a backplane and a bus?||20|
|5||Does the reference show that when a packet arrives at an interface card with an address that is not in the interface’s routing table, a memory controller on the interface card pulls the relevant routing address from the master control process’s overall routing table?||20|
This is a Prior Art Search contest aimed at determining if a patent idea was known and publicly available before a patent was filed.
+5 bonus points will be awarded for non-patent literature and for foreign language references.
This contest will close on Sunday, October 11th, 2015 at 11:59 PM PST.
Please review the Contest Rules. For more information on how to submit to this Contest type, please read the Intro to Prior Art Search page.
- All work must be original and prepared by a single author
- Maximum of one entry per person allowed
- Maximum length of 1,500 words
- Entries must be in English
- Ideas should be clearly expressed at a college-educated, non-expert level
- All submissions are subject to Patexia's contest legal terms
- Failure to follow these rules may lead to disqualification from the contest
- , "M.A. Henrion et al. ""Switching Network Architecture for ATM Based Broadband Communications"" ISS May 27-Jun. 1 1990 vol. V pp. 1-8."
- , "Edoardo Biagioni et al. ""Designing a practical ATM LAN"" IEEE Network Mar. 1993 vol. 7 No. 2."
- , "Anthony J. McAuley et al. ""Fast Routing Table Lookup Using CAMs"" IEEE Computer Society Press 1993 vol. 3 Los Alamitos."
- , "Robert J. Souza et al. ""GIGAswitch System: A High-performance Packet-switching Platform"" Digital Technical Journal vol. 6 No. 1 1994."
- , "Drynan D. and Ellis J. ""A New Class of Switch for the Multimedia Age"" UMI Inc.; ABI/INFORM Bell Northern Research Ltd. vol. 28 No. 6 pp. 52-67; ISSN: 0040-2710 5/94."
- , "Tannenbaum A. ""Structure Computer Organization"" Third Edition Prentic Hall Englewood Cliffs NJ ISBN 0-13-85466202 1990 pp. 209-215."
- , "Bryant Stewart F. and Brash David L.A. ""The DECNIS 500/600 Multiprotocol Bridge/Router and Gateway"" Digital Technical Journal vol. 5 No. 1 Winter 1993 pp. 84-98."
- , "McAuley Anthony J. and Francis Paul ""Fast Routing Table Lookup Using CAMs"" IEEE Computer Society Press Los Alamitos CA (1993) pp. 1382-1391."
- , "De Prycker Martin ""Asynchronous Transfer Mode: Solution for Broadband ISDN"" (1991) pp. 55-89 Ellis Horwood Limited West Sussez England."
- , "McKeown Nick; Edell Richard and Le My T. ""The Bay Bridge: A High Speed Bridge/Router"" IFIP PfHSN Workshop Stockholm Sweden May 1992 pp. 1-18."
- , "Jaffe J.M.; Moss F.H.; and Weingarten R.A. ""SNA Routing: Past Present and Possible Future"" IBM Systems Journal vol. 22 No. 4 1983 pp. 417-434."